Bottomline Insider Fraud is designed to identify and track suspicious employee (include contractor and call center) activity by monitoring each action a user makes and running those actions against a set of predefined rules. When an employee action or pattern of actions are defined by the rules as potentially fraudulent, an alert is created for compliance officers to review and investigate. These rules can take in a variety of different factors and data points into account. Because the system monitors real-time actions and historical data, it can capture a variety of different fraud schemes while helping to reduce false positives.
As the system monitors employee behavior, profiles are built for each user. These determine if actions are potentially suspicious or part of their normal job. Profiling can also be used to identify suspicious behavior, which can be flagged as suspicious activity for a fraud analyst to investigate.
Benefits & Features
- Data capture and collection: The system records every employee activity in operational systems, capturing critical user query data (including read-only queries) that is typically not captured by log files.
- Analytics and alerts: Receive real-time alerts for fraudulent behavior that are created based on rules and experiences from dozens of customer implementations. Users can modify and add rules easily, and dynamic profiling and scoring can alert in real-time or in batch mode.
- Unique investigation tools: Once an alert is received, investigate and understand behavior by replaying user activity screen by screen, to see human activity and a complete flow of behavior. Use Google-like search on captured data from any system, and apply link analysis to understand behavioral relationships across systems.
- Insider fraud rules library: The product is provided as a subscription to customers, and includes a library of over 100 predefined and regularly updated rules, which are able to detect anomalies with minimal false positives. The rules can be easily adapted to the specific risks of the organisation, and additional rules may be added if needed.
- Detection of fraudulent behavior including:
- Identity theft: Employees manipulating account data to steal customer identities.
- Misuse of position: Opening accounts for money mules/deposit fraud schemes.
- Incentive fraud: Opening accounts or falsifying applications to meet quotas/incentives.
- Embezzlement from customers: Via checks, cards, ACH, wire, transfer, cash.
- Embezzlement from bank: Via ACH, wire, transfer, cash.
- Corporate card abuse: Personal charges on corporate card accounts.
- Employee self-service: Servicing one's own account or the accounts of family and friends.
- Data theft: Stealing customer information for passing it on to criminals or the media.
- Unauthorised refunds: Unauthorised claims, rebates, refunds, reversals, etc.
- Elderly abuse: Employees deliberately targeting elderly customers.
- Branch collusion: Multiple employees in a branch colluding to commit fraud.
- Policy violations or operational errors: Common mistakes or issues that might violate policy.
- Seamless integration: Integrate with other products in Bottomline's Cyber Fraud and Risk Management suite, which provides a comprehensive platform and product set for preempting, detecting, and resolving different types of fraud, security breaches, and compliance issues.